Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple SSO servers on 1 master server

2002-06-13 14:39:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple SSO servers on 1 master server
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:39:42 +0200
You are right about that, but remember what the cost is the day you can't
restore a tape.
Also remember that the cost for maintenance is the same per drive.
A 9840, 9940 or 3590 drive will run almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week
without any problem at all for many years.

I would like to see a LTO drive after on year in thins kind of enviroment.

I had to change tapedrives just when the 9940 came out (before LTO) and I
had to count every USD (or to be correct DKK) but I found out that 9940
would cost us less USD over 3-5 years then DLT. And I think one 9940 cost
around 5 times as much as a good LTO drive at that time. But counting
everything except cost of failing restore showed that 9940 would cost us
much less (around 30-40%)

And drives like 9840, 9940 and 3590 makes me sleep better.

LTO is much better then DLT, and LTO is a good media, but it can't be
compared to 9940, 9940 and 3590.
It's a total different class of tape-drives.

/johnny