Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why have Media Servers?

2002-06-10 16:21:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why have Media Servers?
From: roberthalton AT yahoo DOT com (Robert Halton)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:21:24 -0700 (PDT)
What is the purpose of a media server?

I had thought that you have a master and then several
media servers, and those media servers can back up
individual clients, thus spreading the load amongst
several servers.

And that the master catalog is stored on the media
server.

But what I have been told today by the consultants who
are rolling out veritas for us is the opposite.

All clients except media servers need to be backed up
thru the master server over the network.

And that a media server can only back itself up.
Otherwise if it backs up clients it is a master server

Thoughts????

Thanks in advance