Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] good way to create classes, pools, and schedules

2002-06-07 11:26:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] good way to create classes, pools, and schedules
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:26:49 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C20E37.BE5A8A30

I use the rule for classes/policies that if it's the same set of files at
the same time of day then it's the same class.  I used to divide them into a
class for devel servers, test servers, & production servers but that was
also so weekly full backups were distributed across the week - I've changed
this so all my fulls are on the same night and combined the classes.  Now I
have just two for my servers, one which multiplexes the backups for backup
speed, the other which doesn't multiplex for duplication speed.

Because of the pre- & post-schedule processing each of my databases is its
own class.  This way I call different bpend_notify & bpstart_notify scripts.

I pool my databases separate from my filesystem backups just for
administrative tracking.  I like to know how many tapes are being taken up
by this different class of data.  I also have a pair of pools for a specific
project-related set of servers because this client is paranoid about sharing
tapes with other client's data.

I use a specific pool for offsite tapes.  This is because I duplicate the
pools above to other tapes for offsite storage, the offsite pool easily
identifies which tapes get ejected from the library after the duplication is
done.  I have a script called "eject_pool" that I call that pushes all tapes
from the library that are part of the supplied poolname.

I think a scratchpool is a necessity - I return all deassigned tapes to the
scratchpool with a daily script.

One reason for separating full and incremental backups would be to protect
against media damage.  If you smash a tape full of incremental images, then
you can be sure your full backups weren't damaged in the fall.

Be aware, that using lots of pools will cost slightly more tapes.  For each
pool, there's a portion of tape "on the end" that wasn't filled fully by the
previous jobs - from an efficiency point of view, this is wasted space.  I
have roughly a dozen pools, each one has at least one tape that isn't full.
This free space adds up.  It's a balancing act - although a pretty easy one.

HTH - Mark