Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OTM and PST files.

2002-06-05 18:21:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OTM and PST files.
From: anderson.david AT scrippshealth DOT org (Anderson, David)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 15:21:14 -0700
First let me say that I'm not the expert on OTM.  We are a new installation
and are actually using ver 4.5 at this time (tried 3.4.1, with problems in
SSO).  From calls and complaints to Tech Support, sluggish though they are,
the consensus that I'm getting is that there is a difference in "open
files".

Open files that are Locked (but not exclusively) are backup-able (is that a
word??).  However there must be a static (quiescent) time that must be met
(it is set in the registry on 3.4).  If it isn't static for at least that
time setting, it's a no-go.

However, files that are locked exclusively (such as a database, Exchange, MS
SQL, Oracle), it is never possible, no matter what the "quiescent" time.  If
you really want all those files, the database or other offending service
needs to be shutdown (that is, the files get unlocked the hard way).

PST files fall under "locked, but not exclusively" category.

David Anderson
ScrippsHealth Information Services

----  Original Message snippet
-