Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [NBU3.4] Homemade HSM ready for Alpha-testing...

2002-06-05 10:27:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [NBU3.4] Homemade HSM ready for Alpha-testing...
From: Oliver.Schade AT colt DOT de (Oliver.Schade AT colt DOT de)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:27:18 +0200
Hi,

I just finished writing a homemade HSM system based on
Veritas and looking for some alpha-testers.

It is written in Perl (5.6.1) and Bourne Again Shell and
needs some additional modules from CPAN. It will:

  - Cache backups on a diskcache
  - Duplicate these backups to an other storage unit if

    a) At least <To-configure> Bytes are to be duplicated
    b) At least <To-configure> Jobs are to be duplicated

  - Expires primary copies on the diskcache if a
    watermark is reached (down to a second watermark)
    *sorted* by a usage count and age.

    E.g. if you do some restores on a cached backup it
    will be expired this backup last and other backups
    will be expired earlier (the primary copies).

  - Log everything through syslog (local7.*)

On our site it has improved backup by a lot. Our DLT8000
drives running on around 4000 KBytes/s when using NBU
directly and MPX = 3. With staging we reached 7500 KBytes/s.
The staging unit may be simulate much more drives and slow
clients will not block your backup-drives.

If you would like to test the scripts you need a Unix-box,
Perl 5.6.1, bash2, some CPAN-modules and a diskcache with
more than 250 GBytes free (please do not use ufs or Soft-
ware-RAID5 on Solaris, its ugly slow).

Please expect errors and programming mistakes - it's alpha :)

Just drop me a mail if you are interested...

Bye, Oliver
--
Oliver Schade                   <Oliver.Schade AT colt DOT de>
System Engineer ISC Berlin      http://www.colt.de/