Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape requests.

2002-05-29 17:59:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape requests.
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:59:34 -0400 (EDT)
I would suggest beginning by reading the section in appx C of the NBU
SAG on how NBU selects media.  The rules are a little deeper than we
can get into here.

One option is to freeze tapes as they go offsite and unfreeze them
when they come back onsite.  That way, they'll never get selected (for
backup) while offsite.  The problem with this approach is that you
might have tapes offsite which were frozen for some other reason and
you likely won't want to just unfreeze them when they return.

One thing you can do to make sure NBU chooses a tape you prefer
(assuming it's in the right pool, retention level, etc) is to have
that tape already loaded at (before) the time of the backup.  This is
a lot easier if you use a minimum number of pools (which is a good
idea anyway) and a minimum number of retentions (increasing the
retention of some backups to match a higher level for example).  If
course, there are sometimes good reasons to use multiple
pools/retentions, but more often than not, in my experience, people
tend to split things up for reasons that don't really add any value.

At home, I have two standalone drives.  All of my backups use the same
pool and retention, and I never backup more than about a tape full of
data at once.  So, NBU will completely fill one tape before going on
to the next.  When a tape is ejected, I replace it with one that is
empty (AVAILABLE).  By doing this, I know that NBU will never ask for
a tape - and therefore it couldn't choose one that is offsite
(actually, I do this for another reason - I don't want a backup
waiting for me to take action).  This is a pretty basic example, but
it does point out an approach.