Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BPVault and ALTREADHOST

2002-05-22 17:20:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BPVault and ALTREADHOST
From: mike_andres AT cnt DOT com (Mike Andres)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:20:53 -0500
Hi,

    We have an NBU setup with 6 SAN Media servers which back up only
themselves, 2 dedicated Media servers that back up a bunch of clients, and 8
drives to use for duplications.  We want the dedicated Media servers to
perform all of our dups so we will be using ALTREADHOST, BUT, the parameter
file requires the following

server <SAN Media server 1> <drive pairs> ALTREADHOST <dedicated media 1>
server <SAN Media server 2> <drive pairs> ALTREADHOST <dedicated media 2>
server <SAN Media server 3> <drive pairs> ALTREADHOST <dedicated media 1>
server <SAN Media server 4> <drive pairs> ALTREADHOST <dedicated media 2>
...etc

dstunit <dedicated media 1 STU>
dstunit <dedicated media 2 STU>
dstunit <dedicated media 1 STU>
dstunit <dedicated media 2 STU>
...etc

With 6 ALTREADHOST entries, an a single drive pair for each I would need at
least 12 drives for duplication with a pair dedicated to each SAN media
server!!!!!

My question is, is this correct?  Is there a way I can simply say "dedicated
Media server 1 and 2 each have 2 drive pairs to use to duplicate ALL data"
rather than "you must use 1 drive pair to duplicate the data for SAN media
1, another for SAN media 2, etc."

TIA,
-mike