Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] additional information on drives being marked down

2002-05-22 13:14:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] additional information on drives being marked down
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:14:09 -0400 (EDT)
danix writes:
> We just noticed this:
> root:backup02 $PWD > grep 000131 log_1021953600
> 1022023724 1 132 16 backup02 114397 0 0 20app1 bptm read error on media id
> 000131, drive index 3, reading header block, I/O error
> 1022024197 1 132 16 backup02 114399 0 0 wapcuse01aa0003 bptm read error on
> media id 000131, drive index 2, reading header block, I/O error
> 1022025675 1 132 16 backup02 114401 0 0 wapcuwg01bb0003 bptm read error on
> media id 000131, drive index 0, reading header block, I/O error
> 1022025676 1 132 8 backup02 114401 0 0 wapcuwg01bb0003 bptm FREEZING media id
> 000131, it has had at least 3 errors in the last 12 hour(s)

Try using "bperror -U" (perhaps with the -hoursago XXX flag) if you
want to read those files in a more human format.

> Is it possible the volume catalog is screwed up?  How could we be looking for
> the same tape on 3 different drives?

It's possible, but I don't see any evidence here.

What's interesting is that three different servers get an error on the
same tape at about the same time, and that they all have different
index numbers for what must be the same drive.  Three systems
shouldn't be accessing the same drive at the same time (must be the
same drive since it's the same tape).

I believe you have the same physical drive seen by multiple machines,
and you're either not using SSO or you don't have it configured
correctly.  The avrd process watches the drives and tries to read the
tape header when a tape is inserted.  A correctly configured SSO will
ensure that only one machine is monitoring any one drive at one time.
I think in your case you've got at least three machines all sending
commands to the drive at the same time and it's confusing them
(e.g. they expect the tape to be in a certain position - but it's not
because some other machine told the drive to position to another
location.