Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore 'db query' takes a long time

2002-05-22 09:50:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore 'db query' takes a long time
From: Jason.Ahrens AT telus DOT com (Jason Ahrens)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:50:33 -0600
Yesterday I attempted to do a restore with some rather odd results.

>From the time I submitted my restore request (most of a large system) the
restore began. But nothing happened... I checked out the bprm log file and
saw a number of db requests in progress. These db requests took *3 hours* to
complete before the actual restore started. Obviously this isn't right.

Today I went looking for the cause of the delay, with no luck. Databases are
NOT compressed, indexing to level 9 is turned on, and actually selecting the
files through the interface (bp) had no delay. But in processing the request
to *start* the restore, the database queries chewed up a total of 3 hours.
In three hours I would hope to have the file restore portion of a recovery
completed.

System is Solaris 7, NB 3.4NB2

Anyone have any clues what else I can check out?

Thanks

Jason

--
Jason Ahrens, System Analyst