Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing

2002-05-20 14:28:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:28:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Multiplexing can help you write more to a tape if your non-multiplexed
> stream is not loading the tape drive to its maximum throughput.  On
> average I get 80G on a DLT8000 (multiplexed) vs 60G
> (non-multiplexed).   It is my understanding that anytime the tape drive
> has to back-hitch, you will lose some actual tape capacity.

Perhaps the 2 streams contain slightly different data?

There was a version of the DLT7000 released that did not have sufficient
memory for buffer space.  At certain speeds of data arrival, it would
back off on compression to keep the tape spinning.  Later versions had
more RAM and did not back off on compression at any speed.

I'm not aware that the 8000 ever did such a thing.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company