Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What Un*x directories do people skip on clients?

2002-05-20 14:08:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What Un*x directories do people skip on clients?
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:08:40 -0400 (EDT)
William Enestvedt writes:
> Given that NBU 3.4 doesn't do bare metal recovery, and instead requires that
> you manually re-install your OS, what directories do most people put in

Or use the Bare Metal Restore option (4.5), or restore to an alternate
disk.

> their exclude lists?
>    I've thought of the following already for my Solaris 2.6 systems:
>       /proc
>       /tmp
>       /cdrom

proc and cdrom are already handled by NBU.  /tmp maybe, since it's
generally volatile, but I still back it up.

>       /home (we put home directories elsewhere), /net/vol, and /xfn. Do
> other people have favorites? How about /dev, /devices, /kernel, and /vol? I
> just don't want to bother backing up stuff that I wouldn't want to restore!
>    Thanks for any suggestions.

Read the O'Reilly Unix Backup and Recovery book.  One thing I really
like about that book is the emphasis on backing up everything
(almost).

Sure, you COULD exclude X and save a little tape and time.  Then
comes the day that you have to rebuild.  A few days later you find
that something isn't working just right.  Then you remember that one
time a couple months ago you had to change something - what was it? -
in one of those files.  I can go back to tape, can you?