Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fragment Size

2002-05-15 18:46:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fragment Size
From: begomez AT worldnet.att DOT net (Brian E. Gomez)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:46:07 -0500
Hi Carlos,
Fragment size does not affect backups much, but it can improve restore times
a lot. This is because the restore job can seek or fast forward or locate to
the appropriate fragment for the restore much more quickly than if it had to
read through all of the data in one big fragment. Veritas recommends a
fragment size of 2048M. I use 5120M but only because I don't like seeing so
many fragments detailed in the backup log. The Veritas recommendation is
probably the better choice.

You are correct. This is only specified in the Storage Unit. You will see
the fragment size at work in the next backup job you run as each fragment
generates a separate message in the log.

Regards,
-Brian