Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 54 Solaris client

2002-03-28 04:39:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 54 Solaris client
From: Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com (Weber, Philip)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:39:25 -0000
We also are getting these errors, although they seem to be interchangeable
with Error 50.
We are only currently experiencing them on Oracle database backups using EBU
(for Oracle 7.3.4; I don't think we are getting them for any 8/8i databases
using RMAN).  The Oracle backup script starts multiple NetBackup jobs, one
for each tablespace I think.  A random number of these will often (not
always) fail with 50 or 54.  It seems like EBU may encounter a problem with
one of the backup streams and then the rest of the backup collapses like a
house of cards.  Can't currently work out whether the problem is starting
with EBU or NetBackup client or server.

We don't have any network issues of which we are aware.  We are using NIS
but I don't think this is a host name lookup issue.  We don't get
"gethostbyaddr failed" messages.

CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT can be on client or server.  If not present on the
client a default is used until the server value is read.  We have both set
to 3600 and were advised to increase these still further, but this did not
solve the issue.

This case is currently with Veritas backline support but I will be very
interested if anyone on this list can shed some light on it.

Phil Weber
IT Infrastructure Unix Systems Engineer

Phone: 01384 26 4136