Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Convert to 3.4 with new server/library

2002-03-27 12:03:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Convert to 3.4 with new server/library
From: gbos AT uoguelph DOT ca (Gerrit Bos)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:03:56 -0500
Any thoughts on the best way to do this upgrade:

>From a Sun E250 with NB 3.2GA master/media server and a 9740 library
with 4 9840 drives
To a Sun V880 with NB 3.4 master/media server and a 20/700 library with
6 HP LTO drives
Also in the mix a Sun Ultra 5 media server with a 9714 library for
off-sites.
About 120 heterogeneous clients (HP-UX/Solaris, Linux, NT,W2K, Netware)
Longer term for the E250/9740 is as a media server with the 9740 silo
off-site.

The preferred alternative seems to me to be to hook both libraries to
the V880, and bring it online as a NB 3.4 master with the old name.
Upgrade the Ultra 5 media server to 3.4 at the same time.  After
transition, disconnect the old (9740) library.  Any comments, gothcha's
or things to watch for?

An alternative would be to demote the current master/media server during
the upgrade to 3.4 to media server only, and bring the new one on-line
as master, but I've seen warnings in the past on this list about the
close ties between the name of the machine and the database.

A third alternative would be a "cold-turkey" approach of bringing up the
new server with the new library and starting to do backups on it.

Thanks in advance....Gerrit