Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] exercise in reality

2002-03-21 11:00:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] exercise in reality
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:00:07 -0500 (EST)
It's not possible to create a general rule for all environments.  It
depends on the type of restores you do and the environment (resources,
bottlenecks, etc).  Actually, it's possible that restores may be
faster WITH multiplexing.  The only way to really know is to test in
your environment.

On a related topic, we all know that streaming type drives (e.g. DLT)
need to be "fed" data fast enough, or they'll shoe-shine resulting in
perf loss, excessive drive/tape wear, etc.  But, does anyone know if
this is also the case when READING from them?

Thanks,