Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple backup stream from client.

2002-03-14 17:52:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple backup stream from client.
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:52:56 -0500 (EST)
I don't know Legato, so I'm not sure how close bpbackup and save are.
But, what you'll want to know about bpbackup is that there's two main
ways to run backups using it:

1) Immediate backup.  The bpbackup command is run on a server and you
   (can) specify the client.  Uses -i option.  Equivalent to choosing
   'Manual Backup' via the GUI.  Will do multiple streams with one
   command.  Will use exclude/include lists if they exist.  Affects
   the scheduling of regularly scheduled backups.

2) User-directed backup.  Run on the client.  You must have a
   user-directed backup schedule configured, and the window must be
   open.  You specify the files, which means no incrementals (unless
   you handle this and create the file list accordingly).  If you want
   multistreaming, you launch multiple backups (hopefully with
   different file lists and different physical disks).

Of course, what you're probably looking for is the 'Max Jobs Per
Client' option.  The default is one.  You can set this (on the master
server) using bpconfig -mj <number>.  You also need a storage unit
with more than one drive (or multiplexing greater than one and the
same retention periods for multiple jobs).