Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up VSM filesystems with Netbackup

2002-03-14 13:15:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up VSM filesystems with Netbackup
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:15:46 -0500 (EST)
If a file has been migrated and all copies have been made and are
active, NetBackup should only backup the inode, not the actual blocks
of data.  This is true of unchanged cached files also.

This might explain why you see less data backed up than you expect.
As for the difference between test backups and regular backups, the
only thing I can think of is that you're running user directed backups
(where you specify the file list and there is no concept of an
incrememntal).