Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up VSM filesystems with Netbackup

2002-03-14 07:24:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up VSM filesystems with Netbackup
From: terese.pelletier AT kodak DOT com (Terese Pelletier)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:24:51 -0500
All,

Please accept my apologies for submitting this to both lists, but it
seems appropriate.

Our experience and belief is that netbackup will back up all files on an
vsm managed filesystem (cached, stub, regular) and that it's advantage
is that it won't migrate in files during the backup process.

We are seeing that our vsm filesystem backups to not have all the data
we would expect.  What is odd is that I have been running periodic test
backups and everything appears to be backed up, but on our regular runs
we appear to be short.

We have been working with Sun Microsystems and Veritas on one filesystem
which should back up 25gb, but only backs up 1.8gb.  The answer we
received is that we are stuck.  The only way to back up the vsm
filesystem is via nb, but nb is not getting all the data.  We determined
our only course of action is to go back to what we believe is a full
back and try to recreate the filesystem on new disks.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?

Thanks for all the help,
Terese
--
Terese Pelletier               |Internet: terese.pelletier AT kodak DOT com
Eastman Kodak Company          |Phone: 585-477-1316