Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Hung Backups - Help!

2002-03-02 07:21:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Hung Backups - Help!
From: Paul.Sobey AT aleagroup DOT com (Paul Sobey)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 12:21:47 +0000
Hello everyone,

I just logged onto my backup server to find ten active jobs that appeared
to be hung, and another 100 or so in the queue. There were around 12
bpsched and bprd processes that had been started at intervals throughout
the night. By killing all the processes and restarting the NB daemons, then
issuing a bpjobs -kill_all, all the previously queued jobs were restarted,
and the 'hung' jobs marked as complete (status 0).

Can anyone offer advice on:

a) whether the hung jobs really did complete successfully (the amount of
data backed up seems about right in each case)
b) the cause of the hung jobs and how I might avoid it in the future?

Using NB 3.4, with 341_2 and 341_P0836 installed in that order, on NT4.
Backing up to a HP 2/20 LTO autoloader.

Cheers,
Paul