Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape error problems

2002-02-28 16:32:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape error problems
From: alevin AT audible DOT com (Adam Levin)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:32:42 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Adam Levin wrote:
> Anyway, my main question is this: if no entity was found, does that mean
> that there are no current backup images on that tape, and I can just bulk
> erase it and start over?

Ok, thanks to the couple of folks who emailed me.  Basically, even though
a tape says it was *mounted* doesn't mean that it was written to.  I guess
this should have been obvious.

So, a number of tapes had errors after we changed the st.conf.  It's not
important that I get data off of these tapes, so what we're doing is
deassigning (bpexpdate -d 0 -ev <mediaid>), then deleting (vmdelete -m
<mediaid>), then bulk-erasing, then re-adding the tapes as new, fresh,
blank tapes.  Hopefully, this will clear up any problems with the old
st.conf settings and the new, and now that we have (hopefully) cleared up
the st.conf setting (answer: spaces in tape ID strings are important),
maybe we'll stop having all these errors.

Thanks again,
-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.
Wayne, NJ, 07470           Think of the grown-ups!  Won't *someone*
973-837-2797               please think of the grown-ups?