Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] st.conf settings for solaris8 Quantum DLT7000

2002-02-28 15:19:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] st.conf settings for solaris8 Quantum DLT7000
From: vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com (Jim VandeVegt)
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:19:29 -0800 (PST)
The fourth field of the DLT7K-data specification in st.conf is a set
of flags.  The flag assigned to 0x4000 is ST_BUFFERED_WRITES. I think
that probably should be "on" for better tape drive performance, and
this is supported in the 'st' man page.

Later on in the same man page, however, it seems to outline two more
parameters that, if not set, default to *no* write buffering.  It
also states that if write buffering is to operate properly sufficient
space must exist on the media after LEOT in order to flush the
remaining data to tape.

So, first question: how much media space is left when DLT7K signals
LEOT?

Has anyone set the "tape-driver-buffering" and
"tape-driver-buf-max-size" parameters in their st.conf files?

The man page lists the defaults as 0 and 1MB, respectively. I would
think the tape-driver-buffering=0, meaning buffer zero write
requests, would effectively disable write buffering.  What do you
think?

--- Bob Grabbe <GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com> wrote:
> I have a Storagetek 9740 with 8 DLT7000's, scsi attached. The entry
> have used since upgrading to Solaris 8 about 6 months ago reads:
>  "QUANTUM DLT7000",      "Quantum DLT7000", "DLT7k-data";
> DLT7k-data =    1,0x38,0,0x1D639,4,0x82,0x83,0x84,0x85,2;

> does anyone have Veritas latest recommended st.conf settings for
> Netbackup
> 3.4 on solaris8 using dlt7000?
>
> This is what i'm currently using:
> "QUANTUM DLT7000",      "Quantum DLT7000 Tape Drive",
> "Q-DLT7000";
> Q-DLT7000       =       1,0x38,0,0x19639,4,0x82,0x83,0x84,0x85,3;

=====
Jim VandeVegt
vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com vandevegt AT avaya DOT com
http://members.xoom.com/vandevegt
There is no luck except where there is discipline.