Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN, offsite and duplicates?

2002-02-22 11:25:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN, offsite and duplicates?
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:25:53 -0600
Are you sure RMAN stores the Media ID?

It's been a while since I have looked at this, but I thought it just kept the
backup_id for each stream and what data was in it.  Then it was up to
NetBackup to find where the backup_id was located and to recover it (this may
involve changing copy 2 to be the npc if you're restoring from the duplicate).

- Scott

                    "Robert L. Harris"

                    <Robert.L.Harris AT rdlg DOT net>           To:
Veritas-BU <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] RMAN, offsite and duplicates?
                    auburn.edu

                    02/22/2002 09:46 AM

  I'm currently using a bpduplicate script to create my offsite
duplicates.  The DBA's I work with are convinced that a DR recovery of
our databases won't work because RMAN stores the media ID of the tapes.

  Does anyone have a doc/pdf/faq I can printout that explains the
scenario one way or another and exactly what if anything would be needed
to recover an RMAN backup of an oracle database from duplicate tapes?  I
kinda like having weekly offsites....

Robert

:wq!
                                \_       that important!