Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Most efficient settings

2002-02-21 19:18:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Most efficient settings
From: cgbrewer AT RMBSC DOT COM (Chris Brewer)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:18:28 -0700
Hi all,

I'm piecing together the info I need from this list's archives. Thanks much
to all the members and the host!

What I'm preparing to do is determine the optimal configuration for my
environment. I want to maximize throughput, so I'm thinking multiplexing,
where a machine with multiple drives/mount points will kick off a relative
number of jobs, and where my two drives will handle multiple streams. Here
goes:

Environment Info:
   *NBU 3.41_2 on Win2K Advanced Server
   *100 Mbs shared LAN
   *StorageTek L40 w/dual Seagate Ultra-SCSI LTO drives
   *145 Clients (Windows & Solaris)
   *100% Development Environment
   *Differential Incrementals: M T W Th F, 2 week retention
   *Fulls: Sa-Su, 2 week retention

NBU Settings I'm concerned with:

Classes:
   Solaris:
      Cross Mount Points: Unchecked
      Allow multiple data streams: checked
      Limit jobs per class: unchecked
      Files: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
   Windows:
      Cross Mount Points: Unchecked
      Allow multiple data streams: checked
      Limit jobs per class: unchecked
      Files: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

Storage Unit Management:
   Maximum concurrent drives used for backup: 2
   Maximum fragment size: 0
   Maximum multiplexing per drive: 3

Configure NetBackup:
   Server:
      Maximum jobs per client: 2
      Maximum data streams: ?
   Individual Clients:
      OTM Enable OTM during backups: checked
      OTM Initial cache size: 100
      OTM Maximum cache size: 0
      OTM Busy file wait: 5
      OTM Error Control: Retry OTM
      OTM Snapshot: Individual drive snapshots

With my goals in mind, are these the correct settings? How does "Maximum
data streams" fit into the equation? Am I missing anything (no snide
comments!).

Thanks again,

Chris