Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reading tar tapes from Netbackup

2002-02-21 12:56:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reading tar tapes from Netbackup
From: Patrick.Whelan AT commerzbankib DOT com (Whelan, Patrick)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:56:34 +0100
Guz,

If your asking is there way for NBU to manage the tape the answer is sort of
yes. You can but the tape in the media manager database. Be sure you DON'T
put ALLOW_OVERWRITE = TAR in the bp.conf. Then, using tpreq and tpunmount
you can put the tape in a tape drive. Then you would use tar to read the
tape. Although you can use tar to read NBU tapes, the reverse is not true.
NBU tapes have a special layout to them (see troubleshooting manual). So
unless this tar tape was written with the header and trailer blocks that NBU
is looking for, I doubt that you can "import" it. I hope this answers your
question, and I'm sure that if I got anything wrong there will be a flood of
e-mails letting us know.

Good luck,

Patrick Whelan
Commerzbank
Frankfurt, Germany
+49 136.40200

This may be a dumb question but, management is asking me if there is any way
to read a tar tape created on a SUN box through Netbackup. We are running
Netbackup Datacenter 3.4.1 on a WIN2K box with a STKL180 library with
4DLT8000 drives. They want to be able to read DLT tapes sent from customers
through Netbackup and dump the contents to a directory.
TIA
Gus Diaz