Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Solaris handling of ACL's

2002-02-14 10:40:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Solaris handling of ACL's
From: steven.hanson AT uwrf DOT edu (Steve Hanson)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:40:10 -0600
The docs for 3.4 indicate that NetBackup backs up Solaris ACL's.  Well,
yes, this seems to be true, but following the old joke about "they don't
call it NetRestore" it turns out that in a lot of cases it won't RESTORE
the ACL's.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this issue.

If you do a backup (in this case it's Solaris 2.6 with vxfs) of a file
system with ACL's, it apparently does save them on tape. In our case,
though it's pretty typical for the ACL to contain entries for users who
no longer exist on the system (it's a University). Upon restore, the
restore logs complain that the ACL contains users it doesn't know about,
listing them by their UID, and then refuses to restore the ACL.  This
isn't good in our case. It would have been nice if the behavior had been
to at least strip out the non-existent  users and then to restore only
the ACL entries for users that exist.

Has anyone else seen this behavior or have any idea what can be done
about it ?  It has occured to me to write a script to clean the ACL's on
the file system and to run it occasionally - but this is a pain.

--
Steve Hanson
UW River Falls Ext 126