Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DR Musings

2002-02-13 08:58:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DR Musings
From: Ryan.Anderson AT udlp DOT com (Ryan Anderson)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:58:07 -0600
You can avoid the headache of mass importing of tapes if you keep a
recent backup of the NetBackup db itself. It holds a record of what
tapes are needed, which tapes are the second copy, etc. With this I know
that I can:

1) Install a new backup server from scratch (using the same name of the
one that's 'gone')
2) Install NetBackup
3) Apply the most recent catalog backup
4) Do an import on *only* the tapes which were used since the catalog
backup was made (if needed)

RCA

--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

>>> "Paul Sobey" <Paul.Sobey AT aleagroup DOT com> 02/13/02 07:44AM >>>
Dear all,

We currently backup our servers using a full dump on weekends,
incrementals
during the week. Full dumps are duplicated and sent offsite weekly.
I'd
like to do it more frequently but I currently only have two drives, so
cloning during the week is a no-no if I want to be able to do
restores!

We have a DR test coming up, during which I will need to restore
several of
our servers from the duplicated tapes. I will be provided with a blank
server/LTO drive for NetBackup. Current plan is to do something like
this:

   Install NetBackup on blank NT Server
   Use bpimport to read duplicated tapes into catalogue
   Install NT + apps on individual servers
   Use NetBackup to restore data

I would be very interested to hear anyone's comments on this. Is it
workable? I have around 400GB to import - how long approximately to
create
the catalogue entries? How long to write the actual data back given
server
grade kit/NT4/100MB ethernet? Would it be quicker to use NetBackup to
restore the apps as well as the data?

Using NB Datacentre 3.4 on NT4.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers,