Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Local/Regional/National/International

2002-02-11 17:50:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Local/Regional/National/International
From: dday AT sous DOT com (Day, David)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:50:59 -0600
Keep me posted on your progress.  I just started this same effort in Central
Texas.  I should hear something formally from Veritas by the end of this
month.  If nothing comes from them, I am hoping to rally the local Veritas
group and the stronger VARs into getting the foundation set.  I'll post
direct to you or this list as details unfold.

David

>1.  Would you want something like this?
Absolutely

>2.  What would you expect from the User's Group?
I expect to network with peers and learn firsthand how they are doing in
their world and take the "best of" back to mine.  Interface with technical
resources of local VARs and integrators without being exposed to too much
sales front end.  Very similar to interfacing with news groups but with real
time discussions and much deeper explanations etc.

A chance to see some tools and technologies in a lab environment, work in
small groups, opt for some study groups.  Much like we do with other user
groups.

>3.  How should it be organized?
Hosted and supported by the software vendor and/or businesses representing
that vendor to keep fees and dues down.  At the same time, limit the
exposure to sales and glossy over views unless enough of the group is in
need of such a presentation.  While you ROTFL, I have worked with user
groups (Cisco, Novell, Microsoft) where vendors and user group members have
co-existed because of good communication.

We are discussing meeting at various user sites to defray cost.  However it
is organized, success depends to some degree on getting enough technical
leaders to support learning and education and enough end users to satisfy
Veritas and or resellers that host the group.  This of course varies widely.