Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Automated response to backup_exit_notify messages

2002-02-07 15:29:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Automated response to backup_exit_notify messages
From: PWinkeler AT officemax DOT com (Winkeler, Paul)
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:29:56 -0500
All,

The SA's here are getting tired of being paged late at night because
NetBackup encountered yet another 84 error.  Instead they feel it should be
"straightforward" to take the information passed to the backup_exit_notify
script and take automated action.  Here are the actions they would like to
see:
1) On a "media" error, the volume causing the problem should either be kept
from being used in any subsequent backup attempts.  This means:
        freezing the volume if it is already allocated
        moving it into a "bad tape pool" if it is not
2) Keeping track of the above failures, should a drive be involved more than
once, DOWN the drive
3) If a stream fails, and it is part of a larger constellation of streams
(we can determine this from the class name), kill off the other streams.

All these responses require more information than what the script is
provided with.  Has anyone else come up with a technique to divine such
facts as MediaID, Drive#, etc., by create use of the panoply of bp... tools?

Still amazed at NetBackup's lack of management interfaces I remain
thoroughly humbled,
 Paul

----
Paul Winkeler, Consultant