Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Moving a backup/media server to a new platform

2002-02-06 16:22:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Moving a backup/media server to a new platform
From: Gina.Robinson AT trw DOT com (Robinson, Gina)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:22:43 -0800
STOP!!    WAIT!!

I would advise keeping your current hostname.  It is a nightmare to change it.
Also,  if you change it, all of the clients' bp.conf file will have to change.
It is just
creates a huge mess.

If you retain the host name, you can tar over all of your backup
images/catalogues,
(and your entire /usr/openv/ directory) configure your robot as a new device,
test it,
and your back up and running in a day.  I just upgraded from an Sun E3000 to
and Sun E450
with a T300 Disk Array using this scenario and had no problems.  It takes a lot
of planning, but it is
well worth it.  We only had about six hours of downtime and most of the time
was spent moving
the data.  Let me know if you want more info on this.

Hope this helps.

Gina Robinson
UNIX System Administrator
TRW E-Enterprise