Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sending NB tapes to customers

2002-02-04 19:25:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sending NB tapes to customers
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:25:32 -0600
A duplicate is just another backup with a different copy number in the image
catalog.

Duplicates and backups can coexist on the same tape (in fact, NBU may even try
to dup a tape to itself... which is why you should duplicate to a different
pool than where the original is).

Catalog information does not get put on the tape (when you send tapes
off-site, you should make sure the catalog information is sent off-site
somehow as well).  An import will read everything off of the tape to create
the catalog (that's why it takes a very long time).

To make this a one-time thing you could either use a different retention that
none of your backups are using (asuming you have the default and don't allow
multiple retentions on the same media) or create a temporary pool, put a tape
in it and specify that pool for the backup.  Check the catalog to make sure
before you send it away, but this should put it on a separate tape.

- Scott

                    "Ben Rockwood"

                    <BRockwood AT homestead-inc DOT com>        To:
<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                    Sent by:                             cc:

                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Sending NB tapes to customers
                    auburn.edu

                    02/04/2002 05:34 PM

I need to backup some data to send to one of our customers, however I'm unsure
how safe/easy this is.
I _believe_ that I should simply do a backup, then duplicate it and send them
the tape.  Theoretically they should be able to put it in a drive connected to
their NetBackup server and import the tape.  Right?

I'm not sure if this is a good way to go.  I'd much rather just tar the data
to tape so I _know_ they can get the data from tape, but they are asking for a
NB tape.

Followup question is, the backup I'm doing for them is being done in a brand
new class for a one-time backup (since we only want to give them a small
amount of data, not a full regular backup).  Is there a way I could make this
one-time backup ready for export without having to make it and then duplicate
it?  I believe the reason I have to do the duplicate on this tape is because
normal backups don't put the catalog info on the same tape as the backup,
untill you do a duplicate, right?

.........or do I need NB Vault for this sorta thing?

brockwood AT homestead-inc DOT com