Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup

2002-01-24 11:42:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Top 10 Things I Hate About NetBackup
From: plb AT iotk DOT com (Peter L. Buschman)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:42:05 +0100
Larry:

Thanks for the info.  Can you clarify a couple other things for me?

>See enhanced authentication, or vopie, for protection against IP spoofing.

Is this supported for all possible clients such and does it protect against
man-in-the middle
attacks the way ssh does?

> > 3. Restore jobs don't report the CLIENT_NAME from bp.conf (or equivalent)
> > but instead use the client's hostname. (Has this been fixed in 3.4.1?)
>
>Actually, they use the hostname associated with the incoming IP.  Using
>CLIENT_NAME would open things up even more than #1.

Hmm..... I've seen the opposite behavior and was told this was "just the
way it was" as recently
as 3.4 GA.  Specifically, if I had a client with hostname fred:

The backup network interface would be "fred.mybackup.domain"
CLIENT_NAME = fred.mybackup.domain
REQUIRED_INTERFACE = fred.mybackup.domain

Backup jobs would appear correctly as fred.mybackup.domain in the jobs
database, but restore
jobs always showed up as simply "fred."  This was always traced back to the
client's local hostname.

> > 6. Duplications with bpduplicate don't show up in the job monitor and can
> > only be monitored by logfile.
>
>4.5:  Duplication, imports, verify, etc, in activity monitor

Nice to know this is coming!

> > 7. NBU doesn't allow more than 2 copies of a backup image!  If I stage to
> > disk and want two copies on tape,  I can't make each copy from disk
> > to tape.  Instead, I have to make the 1st copy to tape from disk, then
> > expire the copy on disk, then copy the 1st from tape to tape.
> >

>4.5 allows 10 copies, and with optional Inline Tape Copy you can make
>up to four concurrently.

Ditto.

Cheers'

--PLB