Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup + MSSQL

2002-01-23 16:53:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup + MSSQL
From: Paul.Sobey AT aleagroup DOT com (Paul Sobey)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:53:13 +0000
Hi Everyone,

I have just added a MSSQL class to my NetBackup server, and have added my
first server. The server contains around 127 databases, totalling
approximately 12GB.

While performing a test backup, I noticed that each new database stream
took an average of three minutes before any data was actually written to
tape. When I looked at the server, I discovered that NetBackup was
unloading and reloading the tape into the robot between databases. Is this
normal? Losing 127 x 3 minutes each time I back up this server amounts to
an awful lot of wasted time during the backups! I noticed that when I added
a second SQL server to the class, during the period when both servers were
backing up concurrently the reloading behaviour didn't occur because Media
Manager didn't have a chance to unload the tape. I looked for a way of
streaming multiple databases from the same server to achieve the same
effect, but the STRIPES command in the SQL directive batch file seems to
refer to multiple stripes of a single database.

Can anyone offer some advice to a NetBackup newbie? I feel like I'm missing
something obvious...

Using 3.41 on NT4 with an LTO autoloader.

Cheers,
Paul