Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Percent of frozen in library?

2002-01-20 02:03:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Percent of frozen in library?
From: miriam AT techunix.technion.ac DOT il (Miriam Ben-Haim)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:03:50 +0200 (IST)
Hi,

We have about 5% of our DLT7000 tapes frozen. We had the feeling that
more tapes became frozen since we upgraded the microcode of the tapes to
V106, although after some extra manual cleaning - it is not as bad now.
This microcode version reduces the need for cleaning the drives.

I tried unfreezing the frozen tapes, and some of them worked just fine
from then on. I don't have statistics on how many of them.

Duplicates are always VERY slow. I heard that version 4.5 improves the
performance of duplications, and I can't wait...

Multiplexing should take into account the location of the clients. It is
better to put in the same multiplexed class clients that are connected
via different lines, which doesn't always go with the natural tendency
to put in a class clients of the same department.

        Miriam

 Miriam Ben-Haim                 E-mail: miriam AT technion.ac DOT il
 Unix Systems                    Phone : +972-4-8292177
 Taub Computer Center            Fax   : +972-4-8236212
 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, ISRAEL