Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Running monthly schedules

2002-01-15 20:04:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Running monthly schedules
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:04:10 -0500 (EST)
You're going to be able to schedule this in NBU in the next version,
so I guess it's up to you how hard you want to work to automate this.

If it's not critical for it to run the LAST Friday (e.g. you just want
a full backup with long retention every month or so), just make
another full backup schedule with a longer retention scheduled every 4
weeks.  Every four weeks, this full backup will preempt the normal
one.

The nice thing about this approach is that it uses the same class.
Therefore, your incrementals that week will be based on this full.  If
you use two classes, and disable the full for one once a month, then
the following week all of the incrementals will be against the full
from two weeks ago.  Incrementals only apply to backups within a
single class.

Another option to consider would be making a DUPLICATE of the last
Friday full backup, say on the day after the last Friday.  Then change
the retention period of the duplicate to be longer.

If you decide to go the activate/deactivate route, check out the
bpclinfo command which allows you to (de/)activate classes from the
CLI.  Be aware of some possible problems with this on dos that were
reported to the list last week.