Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Assigned media

2002-01-14 02:23:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Assigned media
From: nhunt AT lehman DOT com (Noel Lindsay Hunt)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:23:51 +0900
As an aside concerning my previous problems with media
not being seen in tape drives, I think it might be the
result of Solaris unloading kernel drivers under load. I
read the fine print of the device configuration guide and
found a reference to this.  I have changed /etc/system
but haven't rebooted yet. There has been much less of
this problem happening in the last week, but I suspect
the above problem.

I have a more reasonable question about assigned media. I
was hoping to have all my media servers use the one tape
label format and be able to mix tapes but it seems that
this doesn't work. A tape which has had images written on
it by one machine will be rejected as `already assigned'
when used in a different media server. I can't see where
any information is kept about which server has written to
a volume, apart from the fact that the images on the
volume clearly have a server associated with them. So, is
it impossible for multiple servers to write to one tape
while the tape has unexpired images on it?