Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fun problem

2002-01-08 14:06:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fun problem
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:06:00 -0500 (EST)
According to the O'Reilly book, you can use msqldump to dump the
databases to files.

If you don't have the disk space (even doing one at a time, then
backing up to tape), you can dump to a named pipe (fifo), and back
that up.  However, I don't remember if NBU can restore TO a pipe or
not, so you may need extra disk in case of restore.  Even if NBU can
restore to a pipe, that'll only work if msql reads the dump only
sequentially on restore.

I haven't done this with msql, but I have with a couple other
databases.

Then again, if you can take a cold backup, that would be good too.