Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Performance issues of Netapp->RH 7.1 via NFS->Win2k Media Server

2002-01-04 11:53:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Performance issues of Netapp->RH 7.1 via NFS->Win2k Media Server
From: kmeyer AT banderacom DOT com (Kyle Meyer)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:53:50 -0600
I have a Win2k Master/Media server that is backing up a NetApp via an NFS
mount on a RedHat 7.1 box. I have had others tell me that backing up via NFS
(especially on linux) is going to give me poor performance regardless of
what I do. I have managed to get a total of 18-25MB/s total out of 3 streams
coming from the box, and I am soon to begin the performance tuning of the RH
box to up the throughput. Has anyone gone through a similar setup and have
any pointers to give?

On the hardware side:
The RH box is a PowerEdge 4400 2x733 Xeon w/1GB RAM & GBE, the master a
PowerEdge 2500 2x1Ghz 1GB RAM w/GBE.

Some may say to purchase the NDMP module for NBU, I would prefer to not have
to split my library to connect to the NetApp.

Thanks for any help,
Kyle Meyer
Network Administrator
Banderacom, Inc