Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #860 - 12 msgs

2001-12-21 13:58:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #860 - 12 msgs
From: john.nardello AT attws DOT com (Nardello, John)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:58:23 -0800
This seems to be missing what I consider a vital point. Chances are, you're
backing up all the cluster nodes anyway, right ? If so, then unless you've
got them excluded, all directories get backed up by default. So, if you've
got a directory mounted on server1 one day, and mounted on server2 the next,
it doesn't matter. NB will backup the directory on either server without
raising an eyebrow.

The only two points to raise about letting it do this are:
1)      You may have to try each node in the cluster when you're doing a
restore to get to the backup you want (no big deal if there's only 2 nodes
though).

2)      You'll really tweak your backup stats in terms of percentages
finished. =)

John Nardello
AT&T Fixed Wireless
UNIX System Administrator
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive insane."

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 11
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:50:21 -0600 (CST)
> From: James Mello <kingjamm AT colltech DOT com>
> To: ebrahim.abu-rashid AT convergys DOT com
> cc: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VCS database backup
>
> Yes, just make sure that whatever class you have has the floating IP not
> the system IP. Also, you'll need to create entries in the
> /usr/openv/netbackup/db/clients area to make it so you can restore from
> either machine.
>
>       -- Cheers
>       -- James
>
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 ebrahim.abu-rashid AT convergys DOT com wrote:
>
> >  We have a setup of two database servers and would like to be able to
> > backup the database no matter which server it is currently running on.
> > There is an ip address that follows around the database wherever it is.
Is
> > it possible to backup the database using this VCS ip address instead of
the
> > normal backup IP address for the server; there is two VCS ( veritas
Cluster