Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VCS database backup

2001-12-21 11:49:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VCS database backup
From: veritas AT ratgut DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:49:20 -0500
ebrahim.abu-rashid AT convergys DOT com wrote:

>  We have a setup of two database servers and would like to be able to
> backup the database no matter which server it is currently running on.
> There is an ip address that follows around the database wherever it is. Is
> it possible to backup the database using this VCS ip address instead of the
> normal backup IP address for the server; there is two VCS ( veritas Cluster
> Server) IP addresses for the database one for each instance of the the
> database.
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> Ebrahim Abu-Rashid

This works great.  Just make sure you setup a bp.conf file
that specifies the interface and the virtual client name.

Not sure what the exact config is, but if you have a small
handful of SIDs configured and you are running Oracle on
the first machine while the second machine is waiting
for a failover.  Then in the oracle user's home directory,
give it a bp.conf file that has the following entries:

CLIENT_NAME = virtualoracleserver.foo.com
REQUIRED_INTERFACE = <Virtual_IP_Address_of_cluster or DNS name>

This obviously is assuming you are using something like RMAN,
but the concept would work for other configurations.

Good luck.

Thanks
Peter