Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrate tapes to new library

2001-12-21 00:03:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrate tapes to new library
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:03:27 -0500 (EST)
eric martens writes:
> I have moved a library off of a slave server onto our master server.
> Before doing this I moved all the existing media in the library, and all
> associated tapes to that slave server that is no longer in the library
> via the command
>
> bpmedia -movedb -ev media_id -newserver hostname -oldserver hostname
>
> after hooking the library up to the master server and configuring the
> library and drives, I did an inventory via the NetBack software. Which
> now shows all the tapes in the library defaulted into the NetBackup pool
> with no other information (such as last mount times,  dates, etc.)

Sounds like your media server had the volume database host configured
to be something other than the master server (to be technically
correct, that the media server and master use different volume
database hosts).  If so, when you did the inventory the tapes were
added as new media.

> Am I missing something.

If the 'time assigned' field is missing, you're missing something
very, very important.

> Will I have to import the tapes?

No, but you need to straighten out the media manager config.

> So I guess the bottom line is that I need to move all the media db info
> from the slave server to the master server.

You did that with the -movedb.  It's the volDB config which is
probably in need of fixing.

I would highly recommend that you shutdown NetBackup and open a
support call immediately.  If I'm correct, you need to straighten out
the media manager config before you run anything else.  Since there's
some things we don't know about your config (e.g. are there any other
libraries), I really can't advise you on how to do so.