Veritas-bu

SV: [Veritas-bu] netbackup changing ctime of files

2001-12-20 12:18:35
Subject: SV: [Veritas-bu] netbackup changing ctime of files
From: plb AT iotk DOT com (Peter L. Buschman)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:18:35 +0100
Nope.  The ctime changes every time the inode itself changes.   Thus, the
very act of resetting the atime changes the
ctime to the current time.  The only way to backup without affecting the
inode is to read the blocks of the filesystem
directly rather than going through the filesystem interface (this is how
dump works.)  The ctime cannot be modified,
or if it can, the change is not persistent since it is immediately updated.

--PLB