Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape capacity

2001-12-10 10:52:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape capacity
From: anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com (anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:52:57 -0500
Noel,

   I'm sure others will tell you this same things, but.........    A
DLT4000 is a 20GB-nominal device using type IV tapes (which I'm assuming
you're using).  The 40GB capacity is assuming 2:1 compression which means
how much you get on the tape will depend on the nature of the data you're
backing up.  Unless your data is very compressable, getting approx 40GB
per tape would seem to meet expectations.

Question:   By 'something less than 40Gb', do mean high-30's (ie. close to 40,
which is how I'm interpreting it)
or something a lot less?

-- Tony Guzzi
Sr. Solutions Engineer, AssuredRestore team
Storability, Inc.
Southborough, MA 01772

www.storabilility.com
The Leading Provider of Automated Storage Assurance for the Enterprise

Message: 1