Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Control M

2001-12-05 15:51:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Control M
From: Kevin_Trotman AT AFCC DOT com (Trotman, Kevin)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:51:42 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C17DCE.A50B22F0

Yes, but if there isn't a way to re-run the failed portion from command line
by specifying that filesystem/drive on the command line, why would I want to
re-run a job that is over a terabyte because one small stream failed. Also,
how will I track in a scheduling monitor if that job finishes correctly if
it streams into 20 pieces all having different jids?? I may be able to pull
that original jid from the netbackup db for tracking, but how do I find all
of its subsidiaries? It seems to make more sense that when a backup breaks
into several different streams/jobs with different ids, then I should be
able to re-run each one from a scheduler rather than tracking the whole
thing & re-running it. I can easily export the file-list for one job if I
had a way to re-run it.

My only other alternative is to break a large client up into many smaller
classes. Boy that's a pain. As I see it, Netbackup can't be a production
environment without having it operationally monitored. And I can't monitor
it from an operation group with that kind of deficiency. There are some (or
many) environments where missing an oracle hotbackup is a production outage.
It has to be re-run immediately. But it can't be monitored as such if
multistreaming is used, and without multistreaming, it requires rerunning
what may be a multiple terabyte job.

Just one of my pet pieves, but it is a big issue for me...

Kevin