Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape labelling on standalone drives

2001-12-02 17:34:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape labelling on standalone drives
From: nhunt AT lehman DOT com (Noel Lindsay Hunt)
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 07:34:18 +0900
> Not if they all share the same volume database host (which is
> preferred to be the master).  The first will be A00000, the second
> A00001, etc.

Thanks. This is exactly what I was hoping for. It wasn't
clear from the manuals.

> There is a MEDIA_ID_PREFIX that can change that from "A" to whatever
> you like.  I'm not sure if that goes on the media server, in which
> case you could put a different prefix for each if you wanted.  I'd
> think that this would instead go on the volume database host, but I'm
> not sure.

I was experimenting yesterday with a single media server and
the above setting in bp.conf on the media server. The tape
written did use the media prefix set in the media server's
bp.conf. So you must be correct about having different labels
on different media servers.

> Personally, I prelabel (bplabel) any tapes that don't have barcodes.
> That way I'm absolutely sure the external and internal labels match

Yes, that is something I'll have to think about. I may end up
with quite a few media servers so that kind of manual intervention
might be time consuming.

Thanks,
Noel Hunt