Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Performing full DR restores with TIR backups

2001-11-30 14:54:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Performing full DR restores with TIR backups
From: john.meyers AT wright DOT edu (John Meyers)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:54:14 -0500
 Hi all.

 I was just curious if anyone had figured out a fairly simple method
 of recovering an entire client using TIR backups?  Such as you've
 gotten to the point where the volumes to be recovered have been
 re-initialized and mounted and you're now ready to fire off a restore
 command.

 As I understand it right now, there are two primary methods, namely
 the GUI interface or the command line.  Although both of these methods
 seem somewhat cumbersome if you're recovering a large number of filesystems.

 With the GUI interface, you have to manually browse through the entire
 directory tree, selecting each mount point to be restored by checking
 the '.' directory for each mount point.  Then submit the restore.  If you
 have a server with more than a few filesystems (e.g. 30+), I would think
 that would be fairly time consuming, not to mention having a good chance
 of missing some in the process.

 Using 'bprestore' from the command line, things are even worse (at least with
 the 3.4 release).  At this point, for each filesystem, you have to first
 determine the exact date/time (to the second) that a backup for a given
 filesystem occurred and then submit a separate 'bprestore' command using that
 date/time for each filesystem.  Again for systems with a large number of
 filesystems, this seems like a major hassle.

 I guess my question is how do people deal with this using NetBackup?  For
 DR type restores do you just use 'Normal Backup' restores and deal with the
 mess of deleted files that are restored in the process?   Do people generally
 write scripts to frontend 'bprestore'?  I've been trying to document the
 procedures for our operations staff, and the restore procedures just seem to
 be getting more and more complicated.

 If I'm missing something here please feel free to enlighten me.

 Thanks,

 John

--
 John Meyers