Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows NT Block and Buffer Size with AIT-1 drives

2001-11-29 16:14:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows NT Block and Buffer Size with AIT-1 drives
From: Brett.R.Osiewicz AT irs DOT gov (Osiewicz Brett R)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:14:23 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1791A.D16F2FC0

I am trying to bring some logic to tuning my Datacenter 3.4 system on
Windows NTSP5.  My tape library uses the Sony AIT media.

Question 2. The Veritas documentation for NT notes only one way to change
the buffers: a registry hack in the Veritas key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config to set
the Buffer Size.  (In Datacenter 3.4, I believe the Communications Buffer
Size button within the Configuration GUI sets the registry key.)   The
default is 32.  Why 32 and not the max of 64?  Is there any way or any need
to change number of buffers or size of buffers as is done on the Unix
Platforms?

Question 3. Is there a reason to use a smaller block size? Would I want it
if I were backing up smaller files? Maybe more streams because of
multiplexing?  NT block sizes are mainily limited to 64 kbytes (knowledge
base article Q152518: Tape Variable Blocksize Limited to 64 Bytes).

Question 4. Is there a way to change the Block Size?  My AIT-1 drives
support variable block sizes, but all my jobs are using block sizes of 64K.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1791A.D16F2FC0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Windows NT Block and Buffer Size with AIT-1 drives</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am trying to bring some logic to tuning my =
Datacenter 3.4 system on Windows NTSP5.&nbsp; My tape library uses the =
Sony AIT media.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Question 2. The Veritas documentation for NT notes =
only one way to change the buffers: a registry hack in the Veritas =
key</FONT></P>

<P><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Co=
nfig to set the Buffer Size.&nbsp; (In Datacenter 3.4, I believe the =
Communications Buffer Size button within the Configuration GUI sets the =
registry key.)&nbsp;&nbsp; The default is 32.&nbsp; Why 32 and not the =
max of 64?&nbsp; Is there any way or any need to change number of =
buffers or size of buffers as is done on the Unix Platforms?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Question 3. Is there a reason to use a smaller block =
size? Would I want it if I were backing up smaller files? Maybe more =
streams because of multiplexing?&nbsp; NT block sizes are mainily =
limited to 64 kbytes (knowledge base article Q152518: Tape Variable =
Blocksize Limited to 64 Bytes). </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Question 4. Is there a way to change the Block =
Size?&nbsp; My AIT-1 drives support variable block sizes, but all my =
jobs are using block sizes of 64K.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1791A.D16F2FC0--