Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SUMMARY: question about user backup/restore

2001-11-29 16:15:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SUMMARY: question about user backup/restore
From: alevin AT audible DOT com (Adam Levin)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:15:26 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Larry Kingery wrote:

Thanks for the quick response, Larry.  I solved the problem, details at
the end.

Also, thanks in advance to anyone else who responds to my original
question before seeing this summary.

> Adam Levin writes:
> > However, these are Windows users, and don't know from X.  I figured they
> > could simply use the bp text menu, but I'm afraid I can't figure out how
> > to use it myself.  I've created a class for the machine, with a user
> > archive schedule, but I get "access to the client was not allowed".  There
>
> Where do you see this?

The error showed up in the bplog file that I told bparchive to create.

> > doesn't seem to be anywhere in the text-based menu to specify which class
> > or schedule to use.
>
> I don't think you'd need to in most situations.

Well, apparently, bparchive will grab the first class in which this server
is a client, and the first user archive within that class, which is great
if your classes are in order or you only have one user archive schedule in
that first class.  Happily, bparchive, unlike the bp menu, will let me
specify a class and schedule, so I'll be using that instead.

> > I have two questions:
> > 1) How do I go about giving a group of users access to a specific class?
> > I have the volume pool set up and everything, but I don't see how they can
> > backup to that class (there's another class that's root-owned that's
> > scheduled to do my root disk backups nightly).
>
> Users have access to user directed backup schedules by default.
> "Root-owned" class?

Well, I have no idea what to call it.  It's the regularly scheduled
full/incremental backup for that class, as opposed to the user
archive/backup.

> > 2) What's the command-line backup command for this?  I'd be glad to just
> > set up a shell script which they can run that'll kick off an archive of
> > their work directory for them.
>
> bpbackup
> Almost all arguments are optional, except the file list.

Yeah, or in my case, bparchive.

It turns out my problem is subnets/VLANS.  That error that I get (code 59)
is because this one server is on a different subnet.  My media server
is on two subnets, and the regular subnet is the other one.  The media
server has two names, johnson and booth, and this server, lincoln, can
only talk to booth, but Netbackup is set up for johnson.

I found this out by turning on the bpcd logging, and it showed that
lincoln, the client, was trying to communicate with booth, and so was
trying to match up each SERVER line from bp.conf.  However, booth isn't
listed -- johnson is.  So, I just added a SERVER line for booth, and sure
enough everything worked just fine, which surprised me, because I figured
I'd have to configure booth as a server within Netbackup, but apparently
that's not the case.

Sheesh.  The docs have gotten better, I think, from 3.2 to 3.4, but they
still leave a bit to be desired.

-Adam
Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.      Savoring the strange, warm glow of being much more
Wayne, NJ, 07470   ignorant than ordinary people, who are only ignorant
973-837-2797       of ordinary things.