Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] question about user backup/restore

2001-11-29 14:56:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] question about user backup/restore
From: alevin AT audible DOT com (Adam Levin)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:56:08 -0500 (EST)
We just recently upgraded to NB 3.4 in a strictly Sun Solaris environment.
We had until recently used NB 3.2, and we never allowed users to do their
own backups -- everything was done by root via scheduled classes.

Now, however, we have the need on one of our Unix machines to allow users
to kick off backups (well, archives, technically).

However, these are Windows users, and don't know from X.  I figured they
could simply use the bp text menu, but I'm afraid I can't figure out how
to use it myself.  I've created a class for the machine, with a user
archive schedule, but I get "access to the client was not allowed".  There
doesn't seem to be anywhere in the text-based menu to specify which class
or schedule to use.

I have two questions:
1) How do I go about giving a group of users access to a specific class?
I have the volume pool set up and everything, but I don't see how they can
backup to that class (there's another class that's root-owned that's
scheduled to do my root disk backups nightly).
2) What's the command-line backup command for this?  I'd be glad to just
set up a shell script which they can run that'll kick off an archive of
their work directory for them.

Thanks,
-Adam

Ps: I don't use the Java GUI, and I don't really want to.  :)

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.
Wayne, NJ, 07470        Good news!  OM Welcomes you!
973-837-2797