Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why is bprestore (TIR) so painful?

2001-11-28 17:13:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why is bprestore (TIR) so painful?
From: john.meyers AT wright DOT edu (John Meyers)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:13:09 -0500
 After doing some more testing, I think I've gotten a handle on how
 'bprestore' is working.  It appears that the '-e' requirement with TIR
 restores was added with the 3.4 release.

 Correct me if I'm wrong, but this appears to give one the capability of
 using bprestore to restore a specific filesystem (or directory) as it
 existed at a given date specified by the '-e' option, but it is now
 limited to a single filesystem?  Such as I can't perform a TIR restore
 using bprestore of all filesystems in a single command.  For each
 filesystem I have to first identify the last TIR backup and then specify
 that date with the '-e' option.  This seems fairly cumbersome compared to
 v3.2 which used the most recent backups by default.

 I would think that the '-e' option should optional, such that it used
 the most recent backup by default (the same as a Normal Backup restore).
 Additionally to give one the capability to restore a specific filesystem
 Veritas could add a 'do not cross mount points' option, such that you
 could prevent the restore from spanning filesystems.

 Feel free to jump in if I'm still mistaken about the bprestore functionality
 or there's a simpler way to perform full TIR restores in a DR situation.

 Thanks,

 John

--
 John Meyers