Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns

2001-11-26 18:14:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns
From: llabonte AT att DOT com (Labonte, L R (Leo), SITS)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:14:28 -0500
Hi Richard,

I will try to briefly describe what we are doing.
We have one NetBackup master server and three media
servers.  The master and media server 1 manage the
database backups.

Master Server (Sun E5500) - Solaris 8/NetBackup 3.4
A5200 (100GB RAID5) - half of /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
master server catalogs contained in master:/images
media1:/images NFS mounted as master:/images2
L700 (10-DLT 8000)

Media Server1 (Sun E5500) - Solaris 8/NetBackup 3.4
D1000 (87GB RAID5) - other half of /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
media server 1 catalogs contained in media1:/images
L700 (10-DLT 7000)

Backup Process:
1) Make sure backups are finished.
2) Both master and media1 servers have two sets of two
   tapes for a total of eight database backup tapes,
   four in each L700.
3) Sequential backup runs use alternate tape sets in
   the event of a database backup failure.
4) More disks can be added to the disk arrays, because
   each backup job (master and media1) has two tapes, for
   a total of four catalog tapes for a single backup run.
   The alternate set brings the total catalog tape
   count up to eight.  Remember, two more tapes are required
   for the built-in database backups.
5) These tapes have an infinite retention, so four designated
   tapes must be deassigned before the catalog backups begin.
6) Deassign four tapes in specific sets for the current run.
7) Initiate concurrent master and media1 server backups, each
   saves one half of /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images, which
   are mounted as master:/images and media1:/images on the
   respective servers.
8) If the total 100GB of used catalog space is evenly
   distributed, it will take a little more than 2.5 hours
   to back up the NetBackup catalog images.
9) Follow this with a conventional NetBackup database
   backup, including only master:/images/master and
   media1:/images/media1 (no other server catalogs).  This
   database backup will only take minutes.